Location: Grand Rapids, MI
West Michigan location
Grand Rapids area
JOB TITLE: Production Manager REPORTS TO: Plant Manager
DEPARTMENT(S): Management – 3010 FLSA STATUS: Exempt
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the management of production operations and other plant-related activities. Areas of focus include safety, cost, quality assurance, and satisfying customer service requirements for quality, cost and delivery.
• Manage the activities of the shop floor, under the direction of the Plant Manager and follows established procedures and approved processes.
• Supervises all production operations such as sintering, machining, processing and inspection. (a specific process is not required)
• Plans, schedules, and coordinates departmental activities to fulfill sales orders, meet inventory requirements, and deliver manufactured products in a timely fashion.
• Responsible for production -related communication flow and coordination between all resources
• Demonstrated experience with implementation of lean manufacturing techniques
• Ensures compliance with company standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety and delivery
• Emphasis in developing labor cost reduction systems as well as maximizing efficiency
• Oversees training and development of production staff to include supervisors, production operators and new hires
• Determines operations headcount needs and takes appropriate measures to ensure staffing needs satisfy production demands
• Effectively communicates facility status regarding production targets, activities, and challenges to company executives and local staff
• Demonstrated strong commitment to fostering a team environment
• Provides leadership and performance-related strategy in the area of employee relations through effective communication, collaboration with HR, coaching, training and employee professional development
• Assists in the Development and maintenance of an environment which encourages individual contribution and commitment to quality, productivity and customer service
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Bachelor’s degree not required (engineering or manufacturing degree is preferred) (may consider experience/education combination equivalent in lieu of degree)
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in manufacturing environment with minimum 3 years in supervisory capacity
• Automotive parts manufacturing experience a plus
• Must have thorough knowledge of manufacturing methods, techniques, and related equipment
• Must have knowledge of production scheduling and shop operations
• Must be able to manage multiple tasks and priorities and easily adapt to changing situations
• Competency with range of office software and programs (Excel, PowerPoint, Windows, Outlook, etc.)
• Ability to analyze problems and arrive at strategic solutions
• Ability to diplomatically and effectively work in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual environment
• Ability to lead people and motivate others for maximum productivity and job satisfaction
• Strong commitment to fostering a team environment
• Demonstrated excellent verbal as well as written communication skills
• Ability to provide back-up, hands-on support for various functions within facility
• 6-Sigma certification a plus
• This position shares time in both a quiet office environment and a noisy manufacturing floor.
While performing duties of the job the Employee is required to:
• Sit, stand and move around a large work area
• Use fingers and hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, to type and to complete other basic tasks
• Use close vision, distance vision, depth perception and have the ability to adjust focus
• Walk, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and navigate tight spaces.
• Occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds