Location: Southfield, MI
Detroit Metro area
Base salary is 120-150k plus
Key Elements of the Position:
The Sr. Manager, Global Transportation & Logistics is a key member of our client’s Global SCM team, working directly with regional teams that support North America, South America, Europe and Asia and as well as various mode responsibilities. This position will be directly responsible for Global Freight Forwarding, LLP/3PL/key partner carrier management and logistics and transportation operations optimization. The position operates in a matrix environment across all of our client”s operating entities.
• Lead relationship with strategic Global Freight Forwarding partners to maximize leverage across our significant international volume, enhance service to our customers and maximize consolidation synergies across our regional sites.
• Partner with key stakeholders to support LLP for transportation and warehousing requirements and selection. Leverage key relations with global, strategic LLP partners.
• Full responsibility for Global Freight Forwarding and 3PL relationship management including: qualifications, RFQ preparation and administration, contract negotiations and selection to ensure industry best practices, corporate compliance, global leverage and year over year productivity improvement.
• Overall responsibility for APAC transportation operations leverage and performance through country/division based spend management, core carrier selection and routing compliance, mode and consolidation leverage, performance metrics and regional transportation council leverage and alignment.
Core Competencies— needs to be pulled into the client competencies between Core /Position:
• Leadership – ability to lead cross-functional teams in a highly matrixed organization.
• Interpersonal astuteness – possess ability to understand and communicate at all levels within the organization.
• Negotiation skills – ability to negotiate with global and regional Global Freight Forwarders and LLP/3PL providers and
• Facilitation skills – ability to align goals and work with a diverse team.
• Cultural awareness – understands, respects and embrace cultural and social differences.
• Communicates openly – ability to clearly and concisely communicate with all levels of the organization.
• Critical thinker – ability to think strategically and clearly define complex ideas with simple concepts.
• Presentation skills – ability to develop and deliver presentations and persuade key stakeholders.
• Analytical skills – ability to organize, develop and complete analytical models.
• Superior role model leadership behaviors – ability to lead an organization (and influence others)
• Progressive responsibilities in all areas of transportation and logistics
• Clear understanding and experience in all facets of international trade across a global supply chain including tariffs, duty (drawback), FTZ, regulations, trade compliance, bonded warehousing, etc.
• Ability to quickly establish credibility across the organization and to engage and influence others to ensure the most effective and efficient solutions for the varied business units
• Demonstrated ability (10 years minimum) developing relationships and working across multiple countries to achieve common supply chain, logistics and transportation goals.
• Global experience in warehousing, logistics and transportation including the Americas, Europe and Asia.
• Demonstrated ability (10 years minimum) in negotiating warehouse, logistics and transportation contracts with international/regional service providers.
• Demonstrated ability (10 years minimum) to work and communicate within a highly matrixed multi-national organization.
• Possesses critical analytical skills to perform highly complex analysis related to total cost of ownership.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Supply Chain / Logistics or related field is required.
MBA or Master’s Degree in Supply Chain Management or related field is desirable
• Analyze the financial impact of proposed logistics changes, such as routing, shipping modes, product volumes or mixes, or carriers.
• Analyze all aspects of corporate logistics to determine the most cost-effective or efficient means of transporting products or supplies.
• Recommend optimal transportation modes, routing, equipment, or frequency.
• Create and maintain global policies or procedures for logistics activities and audit to ensure process adherence.
• Establish or monitor specific supply chain-based performance measurement systems.
• Maintain global transportation footprint and data, metrics, reports, and process documentation,
• Assist in negotiations with suppliers or customers to improve supply chain efficiency or sustainability.
• Continuous improvement; plan or implement improvements to internal or external logistics systems or processes.
• Support plants with problem resolution and claims management regarding transportation, logistics systems, imports or exports, or customer issues.
• Direct and coordinate comprehensive logistical or reverse logistical functions for product life cycles, including acquisition, distribution, internal allocation, delivery, recycling, reuse, or final disposal of resources.
• Develop risk management programs to ensure continuity of supply in emergency scenarios.
• Ensure carrier compliance with company policies or procedures for product transit or delivery.
• Monitor product import or export processes to ensure compliance with regulatory or legal requirements.
• Plan or implement material flow management systems to meet production requirements.
• Design models for use in evaluating logistics programs or services.
• Negotiate transportation rates or services.
• Participate in carrier management processes, such as selection, qualification, or performance evaluation.
• Mentor and train plant SC logistics management in roles or responsibilities regarding global logistics strategies.
• Review global, regional transportation and plant logistics reports for ways to improve efficiency or minimize the environmental impact of logistics activities.
• Plan and ensure implementation of improvements to internal or external logistics systems or processes.
• Conduct or review environmental audits for logistics activities, such as storage, distribution, or transportation.
• Ensure a global understanding of carbon emissions at our client.
• Develop plans to meet goals to reduce carbon emissions associated with storage or transport activities.
• Assist with preparation of environmental certification applications and filings.