Location: Seattle, WA
Other locations are also open. Austin, NYC, SF, LA, Detroit, Vancouver, Portland, etc
As a Principal Software Development Engineer, you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the development of our services. You’ll be chartered with creating and operating services that collect and store metrics at internet scale, provide alerting and notification capabilities and embed operational knowledge and encode best practices into automated actions that can scale, detect and recover from failures and take intelligent decisions based on metrics. In addition, as part of the organization, you will have the opportunity to influence to broader cloud strategy.
In your first few months you’ll:
• Be the architect of an internet scalable, alarm and alarm rules engine to augment our Cloud offerings.
• Lead an effort to simplify creation and management of application stacks in the cloud through templates and automated actions.
• Lead an effort to consolidate monitoring solutions used to drive the business.
• Lead the development of tools to analyze trends, correlate metrics and set meaningful alarms.
As a Principal Engineer you’ll be a technical leader. You’ll help establish technical standards and drive overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You’ll work on the hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. You’ll think globally when building systems, ensuring the company builds high performing, scalable systems that fit well together. Principal Engineers are pragmatic visionaries who can translate business needs into workable technology solutions. Your expertise is deep and broad; you’re hands on, producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs.
As a Principal Engineer you’ll be expected to:
• Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
• Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
• Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
• Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
• Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
• Leverage knowledge of internal and industry prior art in design decisions.
• Effectively research and benchmark technology against other competing systems in the industry.
• Contribute intellectual property through patents.
• Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
• Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
The candidate will be a visionary leader, builder and operator. You’ll have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and/or IT projects and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity, and demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical field
• 10+ years of relevant, broad engineering experience required
• Experience leading the delivery of large-scale systems focused on managing the infrastructure layer of the technology stack
• Technical expertise in at least one major technical area: large scale Unix systems engineering, building complex distributed systems, building monitoring or management tools for large-scale environments.
• Project management experience
• Experience leading development life cycle process and best practices
• Experience with Agile Management (SCRUM, RUP, XP), OO Modeling, working on internet, UNIX, Middleware, and database related projects.
• Experience mentoring/training the engineering community on complex technical issues.
• Passion for customer experience and usability, including successful delivery of customer self-service tools and automated management/optimization of services, and a strong services orientation.
• Master’s degree or higher preferred
• 15+ years of relevant experience
Visa Transfer are ok
Relocation expenses are provided
Very fair and in most cases overly GENEROUS COMPENSATION PACKAGES are available.