Location: Chicago, Il
Greater Chicagoland Northern Suburbs
Automotive experience is ideal, not required
JOB DESCRIPTION QUALITY ENGINEER
SOURCE OF SUPERVISION QUALITY MANAGER
Under the general direction of the Quality Manager, provides quality-assurance support to an assigned program and/or area to ensure that the product is built in accordance with customer and division quality requirements while maintaining production flow.
Education Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical discipline preferred.
• Excellent communication and effective human relations skills.
• Prefer 2 – 7 years of quality engineering or manufacturing engineering experience in an automated mass production environment. Knowledge of plating, plastic molding, metal stamping and/or welding desired. Some knowledge of soldering, electronic components and PCB assembly is helpful.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to provide a logical judgment of potential solutions and convince others of its validity. Decisions may involve establishment of precedents.
• Strong hands on experience in TS 16949
• Implementation of the system or Administrator of the system
• Strong PC skills (Microsoft Office, Word and Excel and Access).
• Working knowledge of various problem solving techniques (i.e. paretos, cause and effect, histograms, etc.). Familiarity with the implementation of use of various charts, corrective action programs, simple DOE, and other SPC tools.
• Ability to develop and maintain a positive working relationship with others.
• Ability to learn, understand and adhere to all applicable safety precautions and procedures.
• Ensures that the division’s and customers’ quality requirements are met on assigned products, programs, areas and functions. Participates in the review of manufacturing, test and supplier documentation to ensure that those requirements are fulfilled. Includes a review of product drawings, process procedures, test procedures, procurement documents, quality manuals and inspection analyses.
• Ensures that product quality is attained in the assigned product group or program through fulfillment of workmanship standards and quality-program requirements. Provides inspection analyses to assist the inspection process and plays a key role serving as “referee” in making “accept” or “reject” decisions of materials and finished goods.
• Prepares various reports for management on various quality related issues/problems or trends in the assigned area or product based on data from a variety of sources. Develops and documents various quality procedures such as visual inspection workmanship standards. Reviews quality trends associated with a product or program, and participates in the generation and implementation of defect-reduction programs. Such trend information is available from formal sources such as the quality data system, and informally through frequent interaction with inspectors and production personnel to determine quality problems.
• Handles all Warrantee Returns (per Procedure SOP # TBD), including the logging of complaint into appropriate database, testing or coordination of testing to establish root cause, and report of findings.
• Performs audits and identifies the root causes of problems and institutes corrective actions. Typical corrective actions may include changes to work guidance sheets, generation of corrective action reports, (8D, 7D,5P), installation of fixtures, changes in workstations, changes in inspection analyses and changes to process procedures. For formal Corrective Action vehicles, QE determines appropriate action team, logs Corrective action in database, and distributes to team for response.
• Follows up on all open corrective action issues to assure timeliness in completion, accuracy of content. Audits open issue to assure correct closure, including linkage to and update of specific Customer or client control plans or FMEA’s.
• Closes all corrective actions, whether customer or internal and coordinates distribution of findings to appropriate parties.
• Maintains and updates all project tracking vehicles in appropriate databases to assure projects are timely and content is correct and thorough.
• Develops and maintains all client quality metrics as required for regular systematic review (TS16949, ISO 14001, Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly Performance Status.)
• Works with other departments to assure all aspects of test, review, data accumulation and distribution are handled in an expeditious manner in line with customer requirements.
• Responsible to initiate or take on continuous improvement projects as they relate to the electronic design, or impact on Quality or Production.
• May visit supplier functions to evaluate adherence to company’s quality requirements for products or systems. Recommendation based on visits may determine if, or under what conditions the company will do business with a supplier.
• Performs other job related and support activities as required.